Re: Development Style

From: Chuck Carson (chuck@DIGMO.ORG)
Date: 12/16/97

I hated vi at the beginning too but once you learn a good portion of the vi
commands I promise you will never want to use pico again. Sure vi is comple
(every upper and lower case characters iare a command, except q I believe).
I loathe pico now that I know vi inside and out, and my productivity has
increased significantly.

examples.

Cut and paste lines 25 - 100 to a file

:25,100 w

Search and replace all occurences of WARRIOR with FIGHTER
:1,$ s/WARRIOR/FIGHTER/g

Delete 1200 lines
1200 dd

Read in another file at the cursor
:r file

Read in the UNIX date (useful for changelogs)
:r !date

Go to line 2048 (useful right after errors and greps)
:2048

Search for the next occurence of /send_to_char
/send_to_char

Copy the next 10 lines and paste them at the cursor(usefull for adding
levels =))
10yy

If you plan on sticking around the unix OS for a while, I suggest learning
vi!

My 2 bits,
Chuck