Re: bandwith

From: Aaron Miller (archmage@CRYOGEN.COM)
Date: 12/03/97

>>Completely OS dependant.
>
>that so , hot-shot mr.circle mud boi? first of all COMPLETELY is not a word
>i would use. say for example some coder freak decides, "Hey! lets give all
>those poor 386 and 486 pc owners a chance to run their own circlemud by
>porting it to windows 3.x"... now say that mud is up and running...
>.although windows 3.x would probably crash lots more than a system running
>circlemud on windows 95 would (due to the way win 3.x manages system
>resources, and sometimes leaks memory, cuasing the entire computer to crash
>within a day, and including its instability for tcp/ip), i dont think the
>bandwith is reliant on the OS.... theoretically, both would be able to
>handle 8 connections without lag, but the win 3.x machine would crash after
So your saying it is OS dependent?
>a short period of time. my point is that it is the hardware that determines
>bandwith, and although one can tweak with system settings to optimize
Or maybe not. Maybe I'll read more.
>performance by a small amount, it is not what controls how many connections
>a piece of hardware can maintain,
Hate to flame someone who is so kind and polite, and has been so for thankful
for all the help George has provided him, but here goes..

You spent your entire article saying how a MUD would not run on Windows 3.1. Well, noone said one would, although theoretically it is possible, but it would crash and such as you mentioned. So, after idiotically helping prove the point you were arguing against, you went on to say..

[tail end of other sentence snipped]
>my point is that it is the hardware that determines
>bandwith, and although one can tweak with system settings to optimize
>a piece of hardware can maintain,
[rest snipped]

Bandwith?
Perhaps you meant bandwidth, appearing intelligent does not seem to be
a large concern of yours, or you would not post such trash.

Bandwidth is determined by hardware, of course, completely unrelated to software or OS. But, noone ever stated otherwise. We did say, however, that
the number of sockets was limited by the software and OS. Which is very true,
all a modem or other such communication device does is read and write data from/to the line it is connected to. It then passes this along a COM port, and any software listening will hear it and interpret it. The number of sockets is unlimited, although without enough bandwidth, they will be terribly slow.

Perhaps the next time you decide to flame a nice, helpful, and obviously much more intelligent person, perhaps you should take the time to at least purchase a clue.

emote is still awaiting Daniel's much anticipated response to this trash.