Re: Redhat 5.0 and Circle

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 12/21/97

On Sun, 21 Dec 1997, Daniel W. Burke wrote:

>There's also a problem with slackware 3.4 and the restrict variable.  From
>the warnings it sounds like a function, but I was forced to rename it to
>something else...

greerga@bacon:~$ strings /lib/lib* | fgrep restrict
greerga@bacon:~$
[...]
greerga@bacon:~$ strings /usr/lib/* | fgrep restrict
restrictqrun
restrictmailq
greerga@bacon:~$
[...]
greerga@bacon:/usr/include$ find . -name \*.h | xargs fgrep restrict | fgrep -v restricted
./sys/ipc_buf.h:/* Kludge to work around Linux' restriction of only up to five
./netinet/ip_fw.h: * Redistribution in binary form may occur without any restrictions.
greerga@bacon:/usr/include$

I'm still baffled as to where you people have a 'restrict' variable.

greerga@bacon:~$ cat r.c
float restrict;
int main() { return restrict; } /* Bad C, avoiding optimization. */
greerga@bacon:~$ egcs -o r r.c
greerga@bacon:~$ ./r
greerga@bacon:~$ ldd r
        libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x40002000)
greerga@bacon:~$

>How is RedHat 5.0?  I downloaded most of it, but I'm hesistant to install it
>now that I have heard of any problems with it on this list... I never had
>anything but problems with 4.2, especially in compiling a new kernel, that
>was a nightmare for some reason...

RedHat 5.0 comes with buffer overruns (of the root kind) with the basic
distribution.  You have to install errata.  There is also a buffer overrun
in the GNU libc 6 itself (even 2.0.5c) so I'm glad I don't have anything
except 'egcs' and CircleMUD using it.

Someone with the 'restrict' problem please send me the result of:
ls -l /lib/lib*
strings /lib/libc.so.6

gzip the result and mail it to me at greerga@van.ml.org.  I'll see where
'restrict' is and what version it is in. The 'strings' will help me locate
differences between that and my compiled version.