Re: map, the lesser.

From: Blue Lang (blue@CALICO.GATOR.NET)
Date: 12/29/97

> >and, if you have the 4 exit method, you can't LOOK into a bunch of rooms
> >that you can SEE. silly, silly, silly!
> >

> Not sure I know what you mean on this one.

like this:

^^^+^^^
^^++^^^
^^+^^^^
^^@^^^^
^^++^^^
^^^+^^^
^^^+^^^

if the @ is you, you can see by looking at the map that the square NE of
you is a mountainous room. if you type 'look NE', you get 'that aint
here'. IMHO, being able to see a room but not look into it is silly,
unless there's a closed door or something involved.

> Go to cshadow.net 4000, is the same style MUD as I am developing, they have
> it there and the morts like it. And so do I, and I'm echoing it.
>
> >Speaking from experience,
> Don't assume we arent either.

heh, certainly I don't :).  I'm probably using some of your ideas
from the list somewhere on my mud..

you said that the method i hashed out of casting for exits was the best
one you had seen so far, and i really do think it's a terrible way of
doing it. i'm not sure, using Circle's room paradigm, of how to do it
better. really, what i should have said was:

It is my opinion that in order to efficiently implement outdoor
automapping of the type being discussed, rooms with OUTDOOR flags should
be created, parsed, and displayed using a mostly different handling
system from the one used for normal rooms.

The actual visual display of each room should include some degree of
complexity, not just a 'room type' key. The rooms should appear as larger
than one character per room.

Etc, etc, etc.

actually, duh, here's a better idea for doing it one room per char:

use buffers. make the buffer a few lines larger than the veiwable area. If
you move N or S,  you only have to do one cast for the next display
string, which will actually get tacked to the end (or beginning) of your
buffer. if they move E or W, you'll have to redraw the whole thing..

fun fun!

--
Blue Lang, Head Technician, Gator.Net
blang@gator.net          352.378.9998