Re: [NEWBIE] Am I stupid, or is it just me?

From: Aaron Miller (archmage@CRYOGEN.COM)
Date: 12/16/97

>>Jory Graham
>>JoryMUD: localhost:4000   ;)
>>
>NO YOU FOOL! your mud's address is not localhost:4000! it is from your
>computer, but your computer ONLY. it is a way to connect to your mud using
>telnet ,  but not without need for being online. if you want others to
>access your MUD, you will have to give them your IP number when the
>computer is online(or if it is on a network). do you know what that is?
>sorry to flame, but if i knew you IRL, i'd have to smack you.

You know, perhaps he was joking. Even newbies have a sense of humor, sometimes.
And now, I must go on an endless tyrate about flames:

 Why? If someone does something stupid or foolish, like what dmitri thought
 Jory did in this case, should it bother you? Is it your duty to flame anyone
 who is not completely correct? Either help them out, or don't reply. Flames
 are just as stupid, in many cases more so, than the posts they are ranting
 about. Let's imagine for a moment Jory really did think his MUD's address
 was localhost. So? A polite post would be helpful, but a flame accomplishes
 nothing except create bad feelings within the list. And if anyone deserved
 a flame, it would be you dmitri.

ObCircle:

I've been thinking about implementing some type of wilderness movement system
that was more distance related, and using items and whatnot for room descriptions. For example,

 > walk west 100
 You walk one hundred meters west.
 > look
 You see a tall redwood oak. Many juniper bushes are growing here.
(etc, etc, I don't think I would make a very good builder)

 An arrow comes flying in from the east, striking you in the shoulder!
 > scan east
 Through the foilage you can make out one figure, roughly 50 meters east.
 > run east 50
 You dash fifty meters east, huffing and puffing.
 > look
 *room description*. Bobo is here, *short description*.
 > kill bobo

Anyhow, something like that? I am very unsure exactly how I want this to work
out, and I was looking for ideas. Not code, mind, I need the challenge :)

- Aaron