Re: Clarification

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 12/30/97

On Tue, 30 Dec 1997 14:30:05 -0500
Jory Graham <Treimor@STRATOS.NET> wrote:

> Ok...it seems everyone has gone a little out of control here.  You are
> reading the port from the person who wrote that.  It WAS a joke.  I am
> just starting to code the things to make my mud unique.  The
> localhost:4000 was a little joke because everyone had their mud listed
> after their name.  Unfortunately, someone didn't find that humor and it
> was blown out of proportion.  If you DO want to flame someone, don't do
> it to the group, do it to the person directly.  Also, someone went
> haywire that i asked about Linux.  Please, please send the replies to me
> directly.  I specifically asked that at the beginning.  I didn't want to
> start an incident, but i guess i did.  According to the circlemud list
> FAQ it said if you have a question that does not pertain to the list, to
> put a warning in the subject warning people who didn't want to read it.
> I did just that.  I am sorry that i caused this much havoc, maybe i will
> just get out of the mud business altogether.

Don't let some lame flamer get you down. Better to let
the lame players, lame builders and lame admins get
you down once you are closer to opening. Much more fun to
ook back at two years of work and consider junking it; certainly
more stressful. Isn't that why we are all involved with muds; that we
don't already have enough stress in our lives and seek out a new
way to become frustrated?

Seriously. Take a look at the audience before you figure out
what they will tolerate. This list has some (more in the past it seems)
people who just love to protect what they know, kick you for trying
to learn it any other way than the 'accepted' way, and bash you
for not running God's OS; which is defined by the presence of the
unix kernel and as many confusing command line utilites as can be
stuffed in one HDD's directory structure.  Don't forget to throw in the
ability to create unreadable man pages which were clearly written
by someone who thought us newbies would figure it out if we just
applied ourselves.

Others are here to learn whatever tidbits they can, some are here to
just lurk and pipe up on their pet topics, still others contribute daily
and as a result tend to control the spin on the list as pertains to the
right way to do something.

Interesting mix of people. A great resource. Also a testy one who
usually wants questions asked in the 'right' way or you receive a
pileful of 'rejection slips' in the form of a flame, or a 'notice' that
you need to change your style.

Anyways.. I ramble, so on to my ObCircle:

Put in MSP the other day. While it works ok, I found a few issues
that aren't quite up to standards.

1) Zmud specific (stereo ehancement) -- anyone gotten this to work?
I don't think it's my system; sb32pnp/awe32/latest drivers/etc.
(difficult to have footsteps approaching w/o stereo control. at least
while keeping the number of files poor Joe User has to download
to a minimum.)

2) How do non-zmud clients handle msp? Are there any out there?
Can you point me to one or a dozen so I can test them? Solaris,
Linux (red hat) and FreeBSD are the unix os's I have access to.

3) Sound vs. Music. Zmud seems to make the distinction, but not
completely. e.g. !!SOUND("mymidi.mid", ....) works just fine. Can't
play midi and sound at the same time either. Though I can do it if
I use MCI in a vb app or whatever. Is this an MSP issue or a zmud
specific MCI implementation issue?

Thanks,

--Mallory