Re: [newbie]win95 off-line connection

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 01/07/98

On Wednesday, January 07, 1998 5:02 PM, Arnold Santayana
[SMTP:matrim@KUENTOS.GUAM.NET] wrote:
> hi i was just wondering if there was some reason when ever i try to connect
> to my mud it always hangs after trying to connect, but on the dos screen
> the mud detects a user, then logs me out because of inactiveness. after
> logging
> me out, zMUD finally moves and shows the opening screen. it's strange, is
> there something i'm doing wrong? or has this happened before to someone
> else and there needs to be a patch or a certain program to use to telnet
> into
> the mud offline?

Check config.c and set nameserver_is_slow to YES.

If you have DNS enabled under control panel/networks/tcpip/properties then
you should disable it and move the DNS entry to your dialup networking entry
for the ISP to help windows figure out that there's no DNS server to query
when
you aren't connected.

Also make sure you have an entry for localhost in your hosts file in
c:\windows.
Copy the hosts.sam to hosts if you don't have a hosts file. localhost should
be
127.0.0.1

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks