Re: [Serious Loophole]

From: Gary Barnett (gbarnett@POLARNET.COM)
Date: 01/15/98

On Thursday, January 15, 1998 12:53 PM, Mike Carpenter
[SMTP:abram@deltanet.com] wrote:
> >        If anyone has seen this before, and can offer a clue as to how to
> >prevent this I would most appreciate it.  Can remember ever seeing
> >something like this before.
>
> This has happened before on Legends of Blades & Magic(my mud) didnt resolve
> anyway of stopping it though.  So if someone does know a way, would you
> mind
> sharing it.  Thank you.
> Abram

I just tested it on Antares. It worked, much to my surprise :-)

Here's the way I just cooked up to handle it:

Potential Difficulties:

1) I don't use the standard load/save sequence for chars

1) I've changed most of the player structure around and added/deleted many
things.

With that in mind here's the code:

Put this at the top of nanny:

extern struct descriptor_data *descriptor_list;
struct descriptor_data *tdesc;

and right before it asks "Did I get that right?" put this:

for (tdesc = descriptor_list; tdesc; tdesc = tdesc->next)
   if ( tdesc && (tdesc != d) && (tdesc->character) &&
     (tdesc->character->player.name) &&
     (d->character) && (d->character->player.name) &&
     (!strcmp(tdesc->character->player.name, d->character->player.name)) ) {
    /* kick out attempts to create dup newbie chars using same-step method.
Kick the other logging-in socket */
    STATE(tdesc) = CON_CLOSE;
    SEND_TO_Q("Your previous attempt to create a new character has been
removed.\r\n\r\n",d);
    break;
}

You might have to change the spot you put it in. I forget exactly how stock
circle works, but I assume
that the player file isn't created until after a password is confirmed or the
sex is selected..

Anyhow.. it's probably a start...

--Mallory

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, nor lousy manuals
nor missing parts, nor wrong parts shall keep me from my task.
  --Christopher Hicks