Re: [OFF-TOPIC] small favor....

From: Edward Glamkowski (EGlamkowski@MATHEMATICA-MPR.COM)
Date: 02/03/98

>> Obcircle:
>> I don't really like how 128 bitvectors work.  I'm going to experiment with
>> long long, and I'd like help with that too.  Also, I'm going to move the
>> ITEM_ANTI_* flags into their own setup and do OasisOLC setup for it.
>>
>> I've noticed that the anti flags seem to use most of the things up when you
>> get some races and classes in there.
>>

>This is why I've moved away from ANTI-class flags.  They fall apart as the
>number of classes increase, and make adding classes a nightmare.

One potential, although perhaps crude, solution is to assign each
new class to one of four or five basic classes (cleric, mage, warrior,
thief (I use psi also )), then just use the four basic anti_xxx flags
on these meta-classes.
So, a paladin would not be able to use ANTI_WARRIOR items.

You can just use one of the spares in the player struct to assign
this meta class, meaning you don't change the pfile.

Has lots of other useful implications as well.  I've done this,
and like it a lot.

>What I do instead is move the ANTI flags to the classes, and put 'quality'
>flags on items.  So then, adding a new class is easy, and requires no OLC
>work to make your existing items comply.  You just need a nice quality
>list from the beginning.
>
>For example, a sword might be IRON, EDGED, WEAPON.  A cleric class might
>have !EDGED, and not be able to use it.  A certain race might be !IRON,
>and be unable to use it.  A monk might be !WEAPON.  And so forth.
>Quality flags are also useful in that they give your code a way to 'know'
>things about items.  For example, the IRON quality could be used to
>implement a giant magnet that would attract iron objects.  A guard could
>be coded to not allow people with any WEAPON's to pass.
>
>A well-rounded 'quality' flag system is just nice...anybody else doing
>this?

I've added a "material" flag to items, which is similar,
though not as flexible or extensible.
I really like the quality flag idea, actually.
Have to try it some time :)