Re: [CODE] damage problem

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 02/03/98

On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, KombatMUD Administrator wrote:

>In my mud if you do an extremely high ammount of damage.  (somewhere
>around 10000, not sure of exact number yet)  the mud crashes. I have tryed

I had to hard code dice() to not accept over 100d100 after a builder made a
1-billion-d1 weapon.  The MUD would spend so long computing the damage that
the timer would expire and it would stop.

>changing all references of dam and damage to unsigned long from int, and I
>put in some code in the damage() function which if the damage is greater
>than the target's max hit + 20 then it = the target's max hit + 20, I know

int = long = float = 4 bytes in Linux for x86.

You might want to log your dice() function to see if it is getting any huge
values also.