Re: [CODE] Death Gate: Anyone working on it?

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 02/15/98

On Sun, 15 Feb 1998, Daniel Houghton wrote:

>I'm curious to know if anyone on the list has taken a good look at or is
>working with the Death's Gate engine, available at
>http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/dg/.  It attracted my interest, being the

It's been the source of conversation for the past few weeks.  It was even
considered to have an all DG Script mailing list but they rightly decided
there wasn't enough traffic anyway.

>I personally have been working with it, first coaxing it into compiling
>with g++ without flooding my screen with errors, then converting

Yup, I have done that also.  There's a trivial patch for it. (Trivial
because it's more of seek-and-destroy-bad-words than actually making
CircleMUD use C++)

>even wrote a bunch of Perl scripts to convert my bpl11-based MUD's zones
>(Tower of the Lost Order, currently offline) to Deathgate, even parsing
>mobprogs into .trg files!

I think many people will be interested in those Perl scripts.

>So to sum up, I'm working on creating a code base that merges the best
>of CircleMUD bpl 12 and its many patches (mostly from George
>Greerga) and Death's Gate... and if anyone out there is doing anything
      ^^
You're confusing my username 'greerga' with my last name 'Greer.' :)

>similar, I'd like to know!  It'd be cool to have a group effort to
>produce an up-to-date MUD engine whose advanced features could be solid
>enough to make it into standard CircleMUD at some point.

I think Daniel Koepke was talking about a hypothetical MUD base derived
from CircleMUD called BobMUD.  Don't know if he ever went anywhere with it.
As soon as CircleMUD 3.1 (3.0 out of beta) is released (sometime after I
retire) :), we'll start adding new features again.