Re: [IDEA] [CHANGING ZONES]

From: X Schiltz (joes@SKIPNET.COM)
Date: 02/17/98

On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Daniel Koepke wrote:

> On Tue, 17 Feb 1998, Edward Glamkowski wrote:
>
> ->An easier way to do this, which I believe has been discussed quite
> ->extensively on this list in the past, is to have extra descriptions
> ->that only appear under certain conditions.
>
> Personally, I would permit a certain amount of "scripting" inside the
> room description.
>
>   @={dark:It is dark.}{light:It is light.};
>   ~
Whoah! Way off the topic, no matter though, I'll take this chance to share
my own ideas...
While planning for an Every-thing-is-an-object type MUD, I came up with an
idea for adding damage messages to the description of a room inside of a
building that has been damaged. These were just prelimenary(sp) ideas,
which I plan to implement in the future, but I'd still appreciate
response:
For fire damage, rooms could have markers appended to me begining of
cloth. The table of replacements might be larger, but would look something
like this:
Marker  Level1          Level2                  Level3
<g>     smokey          heavily smoked          mildly melted
<w>     blackened       charred                 mostly charcoal
<c>     singed          charred                 (sentence removed)

Most of this stuff was just off the top of my head, as I was writing. The
levels represent levels of fire damage, BTW. Acute structural damage(aka
via weapons) could be shown by inserting something like "You also notice
several <small/medium/large> holes in the wall!

\  /
 \/
 /\
/  \