Re: Use Less RAM!

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 02/20/98

On Fri, 20 Feb 1998, Daniel Koepke wrote:

>Not that "manual memory paging" hasn't been suggested before; check
>the archives.  I believe the argument against it has always been that
>most operating systems already do automatic memory paging that is
>infinitely more efficient than anything that could be done in
>software (over the kernel).  From my point of view, since Win95 and
>UNIX operating systems will do disk swapping when it is needed.

As has already been pointed out, it makes the system think it's not using
as much RAM.  Why not extend the idea and compress your room descriptions?
Or implement your own disk swapper?  You could get really fancy and write
your own memory management subsystem.  Why stop there? A MUD kernel!

But I ramble...