Re: [CODE] sedit bug

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 03/01/98

>I dont know if this is your problem but this is what happened to us and our
>fix. We run a win95 port btw. When using sedit to make a new shop, we were
>fine. However, using to edit an existing shop crashed the mud. When
searching
>through the shop files, it looks for a -1 so it knows the end of the shop
has
>been reached, then continues on that way for each shop. Now if the shop
files
>have been edited outside of the olc(like wordpad or something) the last
>character is a 255 which is a line feed. The sedit search bit reads the 255
>and deosnt see the -1 as the last character. Therefore, the end of shop is
>never reached and the mud crashes. One possible fix is to redo your shop
files
>all with olc from scratch.Our fix was to put in two if statements that
check
>for 255 and if it exists, change it to -1. This works for us:

<What they did>

What shoud have been done:

The bug you found a workaround for was fixed before, though I don't know if
it was ever put into BPL12.  The problem is not in sedit.c, as there should
be a -1 to terminate it.  The bug in in shop.c in the code that loads the
shops from file.  When it reads in the null terminator, it casts it to an
unsigned something.  Find the code that loads it, and remove the cast, and
it will fix the problem.

Offtopic stuff:
I just started using MS Outlook Express, and I heard there was some problems
before about how it formats messages, if there are any problems with the way
this is formated, please tell me so I don't annoy anyone else.
Thanx.

     Rob Baumstark:   shirak@connect.ab.ca
                      cst0656@nait.ab.ca

   Forsaken Realms:   telnet://wolfpack-hlhs.v-wave.com:4000