Re: OLC

From: Marc Gale (m.gale@HUGH.BGC.AC.UK)
Date: 03/02/98

> > I'd like to recommend it either get its own mailing list, or Oasis
> > be made part of stock circle.
> >
> ugh, bad bad bad horrible idea not everyone wants olc, i for one sure
> don't, for various reasons, mostly a lack of trustable builders and the
> fact that the first mud i immed on had one of the cheatingest bunch of
> imms i've ever ran across.. maybe its just the distrust inherent from
> them.. but personally, i think oasis as stock is a horrible idea.

I agree.  I can see the point of OLC, but in my experience it is so
easily abused, I find it a headache.

Also, if you have a planned upgrade and installation system like
Ardale, where you test changes on a seperate port, and then when it
is working to your satisfaction, you warn users on the main mud that
the MUD will reboot on a certain day,, and simply reboot on the
pre-determined date.

With that process, no OLC is required.  (please note the selection of
the word.  Although OLC may be desirable, it is not required).

If you wish to flame me for my opinions, feel free to, but do not
clutter up the mailing list with said junk.  And don't spend ages
writing it, as if I see it's flame, I hit the delete key :o)

Marc