Re: Olc Types.

From: Eduardo Gutierrez de Oliveira (eduo@CIATEQ.MX)
Date: 03/02/98

On Mon, 2 Mar 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         go in and walk around. Each direction you walk will be a
> connection to a new room on a 3-d grid.
>         load mobs of correct level (ie, medit load 20 creates a generic
> mob of level 20 stats)
>         load objs for mobs (force wield/hold/wear, etc)..also saved in
> zones..

I implemented something like this in a previous iteration of my mud (My
mud knows about generations mainly through rebirths, every time the system
is restored because of crashes, kernel corruptions, whatever, I let the
thing dissapear and start over. Keeps coding skills polished..:). I was
looking to do something like it again. I had used Robert Sinland's code
for copying and "digging" new rooms and I had thought of some way to make
temnplates:

You assign an area to a player and he becomes the builder assigned to it.
Upper levels are the only ones that can enter it and he is the only one
that can use the "hot walk" mode. Now, he uses redit to edit room #0 and
that room becomes his templates. When he "hotwalks" new rooms are made
according to this template. When he wants to make new ones he either edits
room #0 (for creating a large set of look-alike rooms) or edits each room
separately after creating it. (I'd make it code-mandatory for each
template room to have this text as uneditable "This room is still
unfinished. Report to Zone Master", so players still had to go and add
details to the rooms).

For Mobs I'd create a level system (something like newmob 20 which would
make a mob level 20, based on a template list) and/or another template
system. For objects something like this could also be done (generic
swords, plates, whatnot).

I haven't done it yet (I am waiting for PL13 and/or Oasis 2), but I am
polishing the details. Any ideas on how to do this best?...

Eduo