[Coding] how to add learn rates..

From: Raven Jade Kenago (raventhorne@YAHOO.COM)
Date: 03/03/98

I'm working on a stock mud with a lot of ideas on what I want to do.
One of my biggest desires right now is to work on the
skill/spell/practice system. I want to make
practices "generic" and give each skill and spell its
own learning speed. So that highly powered skills will
take many pracs to max and lower powered skills can
max quickly. On top of this, I plan to add learn by doing code, such
that a player can only practice a skill to about 50% of its max, with
the remainder of
the skill coming from actual use in the field. What I want to do:

For each skill or spell I would like:
A value added to current skill level per prac
A value added to max skill level per prac

This would be something like adding 7 to current and 14 to "max" (up
to the max allowed on the skill of course)

Such that when you type practice it would say:
skillname current:(bad) maximum:(average)

The question is, where is the best place to try and place these
values? Would a seperate array of spell names and the values accessed
by practice be better? Or could it somehow be added to the skill/spell
declarations? (spello?)

Thanks in advance for your help

Andy (Andyman@netcom.com)