Tagged Mob/Obj/etc files & Inheritance

From: Chris Jacobson (fear@ATHENET.NET)
Date: 03/08/98

FIRST OFF:
Has anyone here considered doing tagged object/mob/world/etc files?
By tagged, I mean it uses a system similiar to the ASCII Pfiles/plrobj
files, rather than the current static database format.

Example:

Alis: Jake cat feline kitty kitten~
Shrt: Jake~
Long: Jake, FearItself's cat, is here.~
Desc:
   Jake is FearItself's feline companion of over 8 years.  He stalks
through
Company HQ, catching any mice that the robotic sentries might miss.
~
Mob : dejlmnop
Aff : cdilmn
Race: 4
Levl: 80
HitR: -30
AC  : 999
HP  : 30d1000+1000
Dmg : 30d127+50
Pos : 8
DPos: 8
Sex : 1
Attk: 8
Str : 80
Agl : 80
Int : 80
Per : 80
Con : 80

I was wondering if anyone has done this, because I am about to take the
plunge.  I am sick of the static database structures, and need something
more expandable/changeable.

Second, inheritance.  In this, I mean the beginning of the mob info
(#vnum) would have an extension that would mark which mob it inherits its
information from.

Example:

#1201 : 1200
Shrt: Evil Jake~
Long: An Evil Jake is wandering around.
Desc:
   What manner of evil cat is this?  Ah, but a figment of your
imagination.
Your deep jealousy of Jake, FearItself's lifelong companion, has generated
this real evil incarnation.  And now it is out for vengeance.
Mob : +f

What this means, is that it inherits ALL of mob 1200's stats, then
proceeds to change only the shrt, long, and desc, and add the aggr flag.
In theory, it wouldn't be hard to do, but I was wondering if anyone has
considered/attempted this.  It could cut down on database file and
in-memory sizes by a LOT (if you use shared strings) in cases of common,
repetetive descriptions/etc (For example our 20x20x10 space zone has all
the same room descriptions, with a few minor differences).

- Chris Jacobson