Compiling Circle Under Slackware 3.4

From: Brian Roche (brianroche@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 03/08/98

Hello, I'm hoping some of you can help with this problem.
I'm trying to compile Circle 3.0 patch level 12 on my Linux
box to play around with.  I'm running Linux Slackware 3.4.

When I type 'make all' from the src directory, it does not
compile properly.  I've looked through all the docs and faqs
but I cannot find anything to help me.  The only help I could
find was to make sure the kernel source code was installed
from the "k" series of Slackware disks.  I've done this, but
it didn't help.  I'm attaching the error messages and the
appropriate lines of code.  Thanks.

Error messages when I type 'make all':

make ../bin/circle
make[1]: Entering directory `/linux/circle30bpl12/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  comm.c
comm.c:64: warning: useless keyword or type name in empty declaration
comm.c:64: warning: empty declaration
comm.c: In function 'main':
comm.c:198: parse error before 'restrict'
comm.c: In function 'unrestrict_game':
comm.c:1566: parse error before 'restrict'
make[1]: *** [comm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/linux/circle30bpl12/src'
make: *** [all] Error 2

This is the code around line 64 in comm.c:

59 #ifndef INVALID_SOCKET
60 #define INVALID_SOCKET -1
61 #endif
62
63 /* externs */
64 extern int restrict;
65 extern int mini_mud;
66 extern int no_rent_check;

This is the code around line 198 in comm.c:

197 case 'r':
198      restrict = 1;
199      log("Restricting game -- no new players allowed.");
200      break;

This is the code around line 1566 in comm.c:

1558 RETSIGTYPE unrestrict_game(int sig)
1559 {
1560   extern struct ban_list_element *ban_list;
1561   extern int num_invalid;
1562
1563   mudlog("Received SIGUSR2 - completely unrestricting game
(emergent)",
1564          BRF, LVL_IMMORT, TRUE);
1565   ban_list = NULL;
1566   restrict = 0;
1567  num_invalid = 0;
1568 }

Note: I haven't changed any code.  I just downloaded everything
and tried to compile in 'out of the box'.  Thanks in advance.

--
Brian Roche
brianroche@earthlink.net