Re: Choice of Editors..

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 03/30/98

On Sun, 29 Mar 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>         I know that the choice of editor has been done to death, but I was
> curious - has anyone emulated mud++'s ability to select an external editor
> and use that?...

In my experience, it's awfull slow (well, just as slow as editing a file
on a remote shell on a machine not belonging to your ISP). Plus, if you
want to offer other editors than spico (a Safe Pico that comes with mud++)
you'll have to throughly check the source and make sure you get rid of any
possibility of running of external programs or saving files under another
name - otherwise whoever uses it will be able to damage your system quite
easily.

Plus, to use the editor the MUD client must support vt100 or ANSI
sequences, probably most importantly the go-to-that-location code. I
doubt many MUD Clients support that - you need to use basic telnet to get
it working.

A IMNSHO better solution would be to wait for the public release of
mudFTP2 code, for which I asked for Circle porting volunteers a while ago
(I think there are 2 people looking at it, but I haven't heard anything
from then recently).

Using mudFTP will be able to edit text at home, using your favorite editor
with only small modifications to the server and a client program
(currently UNIX-only, but about to be ported to at least Windows). No
security risks, no seperate transmission of each key pressed.