Re: Wizlist with ascii player files.

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@PIP.DKNET.DK)
Date: 04/02/98

On Wed, 1 Apr 1998, Ryan Guthrie wrote:

> I have been bugged enough into creating a working wizlist.  The way i see
> fit to do it right now is to do a loop reading all players, then when a
> level equals some immortal, it does a fprintf()(maybe put it in a buf and
> center it, then fprintf).  How does that sound?  Anyways would someone
> else mind sending me either their ideas or actual autowiz.c file so i can
> look at different, maybe more efficent ways of doing it.

Assuming Circle's ASCII Pfiles work roughly like what MERC/derivatives' do
(which I run), consider instead of opening all pfiles, saving a file to a
"Gods" directory whenever someone that is Godly saves. That file should be
named whatever the admin is named, and contain information like level
and.. well, whatever else you want to save; I save things like homepage
address, trust level, extra granted commands, spheres of responsibility
(http://www.abandoned.org:4448/wizlist)

Then at bootup (or whenever someone godly changes level by Advance), go
through the contents of that directory, read all the files and keep that
in memory.  Whenever someone requests a wizlist, loop through the list and
print the contents out.

This has obvious speed advantages with a large pfile base; I wouldn't want
to read in 22mb of pfiles to make a wizlist frequently.. :)