Re: Needful things?

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/02/98

On Thu, 2 Apr 1998, Patrick J. Dughi wrote:

>        Races too are an issue, and the general stance is "Do it
>yourself".  Now, to make a sword of dragon slaying, or a trident of sea
>command or something of the like, again, special case coding, or a large
>re-write for a nice general version.

Make it an APPLY_ value with the modifier being the race to slay (or -1 for
slay anyone). :)  That's an easy extension.

>        There are quite a few things that I don't see in stock code, but
>that every mud has - of course, they all have incompatiable types.

Is that not a good thing?  Someone may think of a better way to do it than
Jeremy or I do.  I'm not sure if you had the APPLY_ idea for a race slaying
weapon (which, btw, also works for class slaying) but you may have had a
better one.

>Shouldn't it be possible to add these things in, without specifying that
>one must use them? Modularize something and then proffer a default choice?

CircleMUD is a code base, OasisOLC is a specific package written for it.
The MUD is general, it can go anywhere. The OLC has a specific purpose,
hence you get everything in one neat package.

>(ie. modularize races, and offer human/undifferentiated as the only choice
>with stock code..functionally identical to current stock)

Sounds like a lot of #ifdef's to me.