Re: lint, Ensure++, etc

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/05/98

On Sat, 4 Apr 1998, Chris Jacobson wrote:

>I have used Insure++ and CodeWizard, both provided free in exchange for
>links on the MUD's homepage.

Desmond sent me a Purify listing for CircleMUD, unfortunately I have not
had the time to peruse the huge listing...

>Don't let anyone fool you - you are your own worst enemy when it comes to
>coding, because you might trust your own work too much to suspect it, and

Like forgetting to close() a file pointer?  There's been two of those found
lately.

>can easily miss a simple mistake such as = being == or vice versa, since
>you are familiar with the code.  Desk checking and full warnings and
>errors helps prevent this (I should practice what I preach, some of you
>[George] might say, but hey - why NOT take advantage of compiler
>extensions when you're standardized on the target platform :-)

I always make sure the compiler extensions are disabled on compilers other
than GCC though. (At least for bpl13 I did, check sysdep.h for
__attribute__)