Re: Roleplaying ideas

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 04/07/98

>One thing i would like to point out to any newbie IMPs or Coders (newbie
>coder my self but long time IMP and decent at c coding) is that although
>I have implemented some of this stuff, i doesnt make mortals Roleplay.
>Even giving incentives such as, if an IMM is on and "catches" you
>roleplaying, you get awarded a certain ammout of xp (i use the standard
>10% from d&d)  I would LOVE to force morts to roleplay, but I think it
>would put a strain on the morts to IMM relationship.  Of course i could
>be wrong, but i never liked playing in a MUD where the IMMs were always
>over your shoulder watching what you did and punishing you for not doing
>something the way they want.

The best way I can think of to convince people to RP is this: Make
non-killing things give more XP than killing.  I will be reducing XP for
killing to LOW levels, and making skills, and auto-quests give more XP
than killing.  This encourages people away from killing, which slowly
urges them towards RP.  I will have my MUD as RP encouraged, not RP
enforced.  I am going to be writing a "Guide to RP" to help those who
have never done it before.  Something to give the players a hand.

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press