Re: D&D Style was: [code] do_title

From: Daniel Koepke (dkoepke@CALIFORNIA.COM)
Date: 04/09/98

Tony Maro wrote:

> Patrick,
>
> How many people are _REALLY_ going to be ABLE to create a magic
> fireball in real life anyway?!?
> Itsn't that sort of the point?  ::Sorry, I couldn't resist  ;-)

I don't see where reality came into the picture at all?  I think the
point was to make their MUD more like Dungeons & Dragons.  And,
besides, for all I know, people can cast spells that create fireballs.
I just haven't ever seen it.

And, D&D does have a sort of class balance.  By giving magic solely
to mages and clerics, you no longer have Fighters that act more like
a "jack-of-all-trades".  But, this kind of unexplained, abritrary
limitation of what items people can use is certainly not how I would
go about it.  I would say that scrolls are written in runes that
magic users/clerics implicitly know (at least, partly); and that
warriors and thieves will have to learn (and quite slowly) to read
the srolls before they can use it.  Also, charge more for potions,
scrolls, staves, and wands.  After all, magical items should be
fairly rare, right?  Give certain potions devious side affects and
watch your warriors trying to determine whether they should buy the
yellow potion for 1500 gold that may or may not be detect invis and
will most certainly have a few bad affects...

-dak