Re: Consider (was Roleplaying idea)

From: Judson Powers (powers@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 04/09/98

On Tue, Apr 7, 1998 12:47 PM, ;P <mailto:siv@CYBERENET.NET> wrote:
> > to a dragon which would flambe you before you got within sword's reach.
> > So much I find that people rely on the consider command to tell them if
> > they can kill the mob.  Gee, if life only had a consider command.
>
> i think its pretty safe to say that life DOES have a consider command of
> sorts..you can look around at people and decide whether or not you could
> beat them..you could judge by the size of a person, how muscled they are,
> what kind of weapon (if any) they have, how they move, demeaner, the look
> in their eyes, etc..

The way I see it, you have two options:

1.  Everyone writes good longdescs.  Hopefully players will figure out that
looking at a mobile is then an RP version of the consider command.
However, this means that the descriptions have to give enough detail that a
consider command is not needed to tell the player how he (or she) compares
to the mob.

2.  Have a consider function that uses the mob's stats (level, attack %,
some long calculation) to "process" everything the character is "reading
in" that the player cannot see, becuase it has not been written into the
description.  However, the consider function should return a RP response,
without any reference to levels.

Judson Powers                 Morgaelin MUD
powers@rjsonline.net          telnet://mud.dwango.com:3000/

"Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies."