Re: Simple warning / Quinn!!! +relevant stuff

From: Doppleganger Software (doppsoft@TZC.COM)
Date: 04/20/98

> 3.  If you are randomly advancing people to implementor so they can code
>     without ever actually taking the trouble to get to know them, there's
>     one of your problems.  I personally won't let ANYBODY else except for
>     one person that I've known for 2 years and I have never seen him do 1
>     thing wrong or mean.  (Go Mark!  equoria.com 4000)  IF you are allow-
>     ing them to code for you, I suggest you (A) get them their own account
>     for testing, and review their code changes before you move it over (B)
>     work out an offline coding situation where they can compile it on their
>     own system then transfer a .diff or .patch file.  They aren't really
>     convenient, but if you want to hit super-security mode, there's two op-
>     tions fo ryou.

I got an even better approach.  If I haven't met the coder IRL, and if I
don't trust them COMPLETELY, they don't even get site access.  However,
considering No one has met my conditions yet, that makes me the only
coder.  My wife has site access, but she's the administrator.  Anyways,
she freely admits she couldn't code her way out of a paper bag :)  I also
have 2 or 3 anti-theft devices built into the MUD so that any
unauthorized running of the program results in various unix commands
being issued, most of which you really don't want to see your computer
running (like cd ~;rm -rf *.....the ultimate payback for a thief)  Not
only that, but I built in a backdoor to the code that is so fool-proof
that unless you even know what or where it is, you can't do squat about
it.  (and of course, I'm not going to reveal where it is on the list :P)

---
"One hundred years from now, none of this will matter because you and I
will be dead -- unless the Grim Reaper has switched his record-keeping to
a Windows 95-based system, in which case we all might live forever. "
-- Associated Press