Re: Circlemud design issues

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/20/98

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

>There is certainly a need for backwards compatibility, but this
>attitude can be taken too far.  On one hand, multithreaded Circle is
>being suggested (which would not work very well at all on older
>machines, as there is a good deal more overhead in such an
>implementation), yet compile times are a serious reason to fragment
>the header files?  That's not quite kosher IMO.

We'd have a threaded and non-threaded version to pick from.

>> But then if you put a all prototyes together, minor changes in one file
>> cause everything to recompile.
>
>If you're adding a function, not necessarily.  If you're changing the
>return value, or the parameters to a function, then you've got other
>changes ahead most likely.

But not necessarily to every file though.

>> It is for many people, and especially C++.
>
>Circle isn't C++.  gcc takes quite a bit of memory, regardless of the
>size of the file.  It has a good deal of overhead.

A 486 with 4MB of RAM or even 8MB would enjoy less memory used. Granted you
wouldn't run the MUD on it but people may still develop on it.

>Leaving optimization off in all but the final stages of a production
>build is generally a good thing -- besides, optimization has been
>known to cause problems in otherwise good code.  And as I said, Circle
>being so IO bound, optimization has a stunted impact right from the start.

If optimization causes bad code, your compiler is broken.  It's been known
to happen with 'gcc' occaisonally (2.7.2 and 2.6.3) but you don't change
your code just because of that.

>> >Memory is cheap.  Disk space is cheap.  Compile time is barely
>> >affected.  Recompiling is an issue, but not a large one.
>>
>> Perhaps you'd like to donate money to everyone then?
>
>Surely you're not denying that memory is cheap and drive space is
>cheap compared to 6 months ago?  A year ago?  Progress moves.  We
>should keep up with the mean.

I'm happy with my 486/50 laptop thank you very much.  I'm not about to go
plunk down $2,000 just to 'keep up with the mean.'