Re: Circlemud design issues

From: James Turner (turnerjh@XTN.NET)
Date: 04/20/98

";P" <siv@cyberenet.net> writes:

> i'm attempting to follow this discussion, but since i'm not from a
> programming background there have been a few things that i am unfamiliar
> with..for instance, what's inlining? i'm guessing that it somehow marks
> certain functions as being used more often and thus makes them faster or
> more efficient..is this accurate?

Inlining functions means basically instead of the compiler generating
a call to a function (which requires moving the current execution
point to somewhere else in memory -- perhaps very far away, out of the
processor's cache), the compiler copies the code into the point where
it was called.  This eliminates the overhead of the function call, but
increases code size.  For small, frequently called functions, it can
greatly increase speed.

> one thing i'd suggest to improve stock circle is perhaps changing the
> command array into a hash table..has this been discussed before? i know
> that this was done for at least one other mud base that i looked at..

I've not seen this discussed, but it could be useful.  Circle
desperately needs a nice hash system (there are litterally dozens of
places this would both simplify and speed up the current code).

--
James Turner               turnerjh@xtn.net
                           http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~turnerj1/