Re: Circlemud design issues

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/20/98

On Mon, 20 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

>> A 486 with 4MB of RAM or even 8MB would enjoy less memory used. Granted you
>> wouldn't run the MUD on it but people may still develop on it.
>
>That is very much my point.  Not so much peoples' machines, but
>instead, the servers the muds are running on.  I still highly doubt,
>though that the headers will cause a problem.  I'd say every .c file
>in stock ends up including maybe 80% of the headers, by line.  But
>that could br wrong, just a hunch.

Including a header many times doesn't increase memory and/or executable
size.  What isn't used it thrown out.  I don't see your point here.

>Optimization can't always be relied on.  People use old compilers,
>broken compilers, whatever.  Depending on gcc to optimize code is
>ridiculous -- it does a fairly decent job on local levels, but not on
>algorithmic levels and above.

If you're that worried, don't use optimization, I doubt your MUD will raise
it's CPU used time much at all since CircleMUD sleeps most of the time.

>No, but sooner or later, you will need to upgrade.

My friend uses his XT laptop still.  Great word processor.

>Circlemud should keep up with the mean.

Microsoft Windows keeps up (and pushes) the mean, CircleMUD shouldn't.

>I'm not saying we as coders should.  The mean is what our machines
>currently are, which I would wager in most cases is enough to have a 20 or
>30k increase in compile-time memory ;)

I'm sure everyone with not much memory disagrees.

You have the choice of two philosophies:
* Windows, run on today's (fast) hardware, forget 386's.
* Linux, run on everything from a 386/16 with 2MB RAM to the newest PII/400

If you wish to take advantage of your faster computer, go right ahead.
We'll keep CircleMUD viable for the less fortunate.