Re: Circlemud design issues

From: Rob Baumstark (shirak@CONNECT.AB.CA)
Date: 04/20/98

Some more of my comments/suggestions on ... everything.

Threading:
It would be nice sometimes, but weighing the advantages and disadvantages,
and the amount of work it would be both to add, and to keep two versions, I
don't think it would be worth it.

New Features:
> The version after 3.0 _may_or_may_not_ have any of the following:
> * ASCII pfiles
> * rewritten skill system
> * new buffer handling
> * better (but still very simple) OLC
If you are going to add ASCII pfiles, I would suggest leaving the current
binary code in as well (which I, and I think others like better), and let
the user choose by defining/undefining something in conf.h (or whatever
file.)

Macros:
Some macros should probably be re-written into functions, such as
REMOVE_FROM_LIST, CAN_SEE, etc.  Others, such as GET_NAME, I believe should
be left as macros.  Using GET_NAME(ch) = "Something" is (I think) the best,
easiest, way to go, and probably also generates the fastest code when
compiled.  I wouldn't worry about type checking or anything here, as a
person could just go ch->name = "Something" just as easily to bypass any
type checks, and without C++ encapsulation, there is nothing you can do to
stop that.  And as I'll say below, I don't think going to C++ is a good
thing.

C++:
It's been written so far in C, and is designed for a structured
environment.  I think a change to C++ would be more of a change to another
code-base altogether.

Though it may not sound like it in my writing, these are just opinions, and
I'd like to hear back on them.
G:  "If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
EB: "Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in
     the air and scatter oneself over a wide area."
-- Somewhere in No Man's Land, BA4