Re: Circlemud design issues

From: James Turner (turnerjh@XTN.NET)
Date: 04/21/98

"Daniel W. Burke" <dwb@IX.NETCOM.COM> writes:

> Servers that people run muds are are very much an issue when it comes to
> speed.  Your aregument is invalid in many cases.  For several months, early
> in AddictMUD's existance, we ran on a P90 with 8megs of memory, and had a
> noticable amount of players, and it ran pretty good... but god forbid I
> compiled the mud when people were playing!  The fewer files that needed
> recompiling the better!

I agree with this mostly.  It is often an issue, particularly when
compiling is frequently done on the server the mud runs from.  But
hopefully people avoid compiling on servers that can't handle the
load.  I'd go so far as to say, when possible, development should be
done on a different system... but that's not always feasible.

> Remember, there's a LOT of old computers out there still, regardless of the
> price to upgrade or buy a new one, and some people just don't deem the cost
> worth upgrading a PC that is still in working order, and muds will run on a
> few of them.

I agree... and I'm definitely not advocating everyone go out and buy
new computers or upgrade.  But circle has remained about the same in
memory and CPU usage for quite a while -- even though average memory
and average CPU time has been doubling quite frequently.  What I'm
saying is things are moving ahead.  We can't restrict ourselves to the
least common denominator, though we should do what we can to not stray
too far from it.

> Most of your arguments, while prehaps valid, seem extreme.  Circle is not
> intended to be the BE-ALL-END-ALL of a mud, it's called a code-BASE for a
> reason.  Many of the things you suggested would turn many people away from
> circle.

I disagree completely.  What I am advocating is a rehaul of some of
the design done in circle.  I'm not saying add new features -- I'm
saying reconcile the ones we have, define more standard ways to
interface with the data, that kind of thing.  These would do exactly
what you say -- enhance the codebase.  Nowhere did I say we should
toss in every feature and the kitchen sink :)

--
James Turner               turnerjh@xtn.net
                           http://www.vuse.vanderbilt.edu/~turnerj1/