Re: Circlemud design issues

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/21/98

On Tue, 21 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

>> What I'm getting at, James, is for you to make up your mind. Should we be
>> mindful of hard drive space while wasting processor space when it seems
>> to me that hard drive space is worth so much less that CPU power? I'll
>
>Hard drives are orders of magnitude slower than memory or the CPU.

Which is why your operating system uses memory to cache your hard drive. :)

>> > Do you mean supporting both?
>>
>> That's the implication that I got. Perhaps a setting in config.c or a
>> define in structs.h to determine which one is used?
>
>Again, this effectively fragments the code base (similar to having
>threads that are only compiled on some systems).  We should pick one
>or the other, not support two vastly different techniques, IMO.

ASCII and binary pfiles can retain exactly the same interface
(char_file_u) if desired. I don't see how that fragments the code base.

You may not think of that as an optimal solution but we can still shift the
focus to ASCII pfiles slowly while retaining compatibility with binary.