Re: Circlemud design issues

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 04/24/98

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, James Turner wrote:

>> The Pentium 233MMX did it in .9 seconds, my 486/50 did it in 6.7 seconds.
>> That's not a horribly long time considering the 2.5 megabytes to parse and
>> that it compiles the entire MUD in 8 minutes, 20 seconds.
>
>Do what I said in my previous message -- run a few disk intensive apps
>at the same time.  updatedb is good, as is loading something like
>netscape.  Make sure nothing is cached.

Even 20 MUD wouldn't take that much processor time.  If they all took 5%
each, constantly, (a really large MUD), then they could keep the computer
busy without degrading service.

>You're arguing that because one system is fast that all other systems
>won't suffer performance issues?  That's the most innane thing I've
>every heard.  You're running on more or less a _dedicated_ server with

Straw man argument.  No, I'm arguing that most places will have better than
I do, and those that don't have better (the 486/50 example), will still run
quite fast.

>a nice, large amount of resources.  What about people who share
>servers with 20 to 30 other muds?  Or 5 or 10?

20 MUDS taking 5% processor time constantly would happily co-exist.

>There's no defrag for linux (well there is but it's never used in a
>server environment), and even win95's defrag doesn't move files to be
>closer together -- there's no effective heuristic or algorithm to do

It moves files closer together, you select 'Full Optimization' instead of
just 'Defragment Files'.

>that.  And 3k text files won't be fragmented -- but they will be
>scattered.

In some programs, (Central Point's Defrag did) they will place all files
and their subdirectories together on the disk.  That keeps them
unfragmented and close together.  This only applies to Win95, other systems
will make a good attempt to keep things close.

>> Actually, if you noticed earlier, Chris Powell (I believe), has a Pentium
>> (dual?) II with 384 MB of RAM.  Quite a bit larger than mine, and most of
>> the MUD hosting services give AMD K6/200MHz or better.
>
>Most mud hosting services aren't quite that highend yet; Pentium 150s
>seem to be average.  And their disk subsystems (which this will push
>much more than cpu) aren't anything other than low-end IDE (ie, space

For $40 a month, mudservices.com will put you on a Pentium II with 128 MB
of RAM or a dedicated Pentium 200 with 64 MB of RAM.  They're probably IDE,
but they have enough RAM to not matter.  mud.gator.net has K6-166MHz and
up.  I just checked their site.

>over speed).  Chris Powell doesn't run this setup as he mentioned in
>another post.  And the vast majority of servers don't run that,

Bad memory, I'd tell you but the post.queensu.ca archive doesn't search at
the moment.  So send your $40 to mudservices or mud.gator and get yourself
a K6 or Pentium II.  I'll keep running it on my 486/50 laptop also.