Re: Crypt with Red Hat 5.0

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@NWPACLINK.COM)
Date: 04/25/98

John Evans wrote:

> I just upgraded to Red Hat 5.0, and (like most others) ran into problems.
> I had fixed the (circle_)restrict problem before doing the upgrade.
>
> Instead I hit the 'crypt' problem. I couldn't search the archive because
> the search function is broken, but after about 30 minutes of searching I
> found the following fix:
>
> Posted by: Jared Buckley
> (He gives credit to Blue Lang and George Greer for guidance)
>
> In Makefile change:
> ../bin/circle : $(OBJFILES)
>         $(CC) -o ../bin/circle $(PROFILE) $(OBJFILES)
>
> To:
> ../bin/circle : $(OBJFILES)
>         $(CC) -o ../bin/circle -lcrypt $(PROFILE) $(OBJFILES)
>
> It gets rid of the errors, but I've found that in the past that a lack of
> errors doesn't always mean a lack of problems.
>
> Is this the "correct" way to fix this problem?

A very good friend of mine recently had problems too, with Redhat 5.0.
Her
server admin upgraded to RedHat 5.0, and they didn't have the crypt
libraries
altogether (we had to #define HAVE_CRYPT_H 0 to fix).  What if they get
crypt?
We'll want to encrypt passwords in the future, and, I'd rather not have
rely on a pfile converter (has anyone released one for stock that people
could
modify?!)

-B.