Re: Strange mail system problem, help!

From: Akuma/Chris Baggett/DOOMer (doomer18@EARTHLINK.NET)
Date: 04/27/98

At 02:25 PM 4/27/98 -0700, you wrote:
> [...]
 [ snip ]
>>MALE PC 'Melen'  IDNum: [    1], In room [ 1205]
>>
>>ID nums are fine for all players when I stat them. I'm sorry I don't have
>>any more info to give, but it just doesn't make any sense at all!
>>
>>  if ((recipient = get_id_by_name(buf)) < 0) {
 [ snip ]
>>Any ideas?
>You're not alone... This happened on my MUD as well...  This has only
>happened once, and a reboot fixed it.  I assumed it was "one of those
>things" and didn't give it much thought.  Looks like there's more to this
>than I thought.  Wonder how many others have seen this?

well, this has happened a few times more than normal to me.
2 solutions (both of which should be applied to make sure it works.

1) if you happen to be using Ascii pfiles, check the plr_index file
to see if any of the names happen to be stored with capital
letters anywhere.

fix all those first.

2) check the  get_id_by_name() function and see if it's using strcmp()
   or str_cmp().   The simple fix is to use str_cmp() so that
   just in case the names are being read in and not being
   changed to lowercase (player_table[].name 's) then this will solve
   that.

that's my  $((1 << 1)/100) worth.

ObCircle: (just for the heck of it)
  If that was all that needed to be fixed, why doesn't stock CircleMUD
use str_cmp() in the get_id_by_name() functions and such?
and in functions like one_argument(), any_one_arg(), et al.
Why convert the word to lower case letters first?
  I never understood the reasons fully, so I ended up going through
EVERY function (search_block, fill_word, etc) to change it
to not convert every word to LOWER case letters.
and to also use str_cmp() in comparisons (so that the functions wouldn't
break)

Just a suggestion for future releases of stock CircleMUD

Code On
Akuma the Raging Coder

  |     "Yea, though I code in the Valley of the Shadow of No      |
  | Documentation, I will fear no task: for thy C Book is with me" |
  |          "Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE, Just IMPROBABLE"              |
  |     "Easier Said Than Done, But Better Done Than Said..."      |