Re: Quinn, Autoexperience thoughts

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 04/29/98

At 09:26 PM 4/28/98 -0400, you wrote:
> [snip]
> It isn't (this post included) neccessary for everyone to read.

[snip]

I believe it just became necessary. Read on...

>I say this because a character named TerrorQuinn Logged on to my mud on
>saturday night, managed to get in and edit his pfile (under windows from
>the strange control characters involved) and set his level to 255 (our max
>is 211).

TerrorQuinn created on my mud Friday night, (April 24) at about 9pm EST.
He was unable to do any hacking, but I'm interested to know how many
other sites he's been on lately. His ip address used was 128.235.70.30,
which resolves to sargent.NJIT.EDU

>The addy the address came in from was:
>
>145.philadelphia-06.pa.dial-ac
>(that is all circle grabbed)

>Anyone have an idea of how this could happen?  We have ascii pfiles, and
>do bounds checking on everything the player has control over.  Only the
>name is above the level in the list of the writing to the file.

There was a bug report on ascii pfiles a while back where someone could
edit their description to be one containing the ~ character and, after that
line, build a new pfile entry. TerrorQuinn on eQuoria does not seem to have
a modified description, but that doesn't mean much.

>ObCircle:
>Has anyone modified obuild to automatically set the experience of the mob
>being built based on the chosen stats?  Thinking of doing this to make
>sure that mobs of equal toughness are worth the same exp across the mud.
>Any thoughts?

If you want auto-exp assignments, instead of even using obuild, you might
consider leaving the experience 0 and, in parse_mobile(), upon seeing 0 exp,
compute the exp value the way you want. This allows non-zero values to be
"overriding", letting you decide a mob should have more or less exp value due
to things like spec procs, etc.