Re: Help (again)

From: Mark A. Heilpern (heilpern@MINDSPRING.COM)
Date: 05/01/98

At 09:52 PM 4/30/98 -0400, you wrote:
>C advantage: cleaner interface, easier to understand
>  disadvantage: slower, doesn't allow transparent snprintf and immediate
>        detection (and prevention) of overruns.
>
>C++, reverse those above.

Are you saying C++ is faster than C in all cases or only in this
application? (Hopefully you are saying it for some application-
specific reason, because generally speaking, C++ produces
larger and slower code, particularly when the nicer features
such as templates or exception handling are used.)

ObCircle:
Thanks to whomever first posed the idea to catch SIGSEGV's and
have them call copyover; great idea, and it seems to work reasonably
well for me so far. I have had a single odd occurance (which was actually
caused by a manual copyover, not a forced one): I had an error writing to
a socket descriptor after rebooting, and got caught in a loop requiring a
kill -9. After less than a few minutes of this, I had a 41 Meg log file
::grins::

On using shared memory... the calls (shmget(), etc.) seem simple enough
to understand individually, but the combined composition seems a little
nebulous from the manual pages. Does anyone know of example code that
uses these to demonstrate the capabilities? And, are these POSIX compliant
calls, or do I end up with non-portable code?