Re: Min/Max Levels

From: Rasdan (rasdan@PEAK.ORG)
Date: 05/02/98

> Daniel,
>   I can think of a couple of cases where builders have wanted max levels.
> Mainly, certain equipment can be created to help newbies only.  These
> equipment do cheap things for you, like heal movement, save you from
> death, etc.  As you experience farther, you should no longer need this
> equipment.  I implemented max/min levels on my MUD, but in general mortals
> _hate_ this.  I've been thinking of ways around max/min levels on
> equipment, but haven't thought of any yet.  The only solution is to crack
> down on high level mortals giving newbies great stuff for free and lazy
> gods and builders.
Cracking down on high level players that give their eq away to newbies?
I'm not sure this is the best way to go. I believe Minimum levels are the
way to go, but Maximum levels are a very bad idea and I can see why
mortals hate them. In my experience, people don't really mind having to
WAIT to use a piece of equipment, but they really don't like not being
able to use something just because of their level. The reason being:
Who is to say that I, being a maximum level character, can't use something
that some newbie wears, if I wanted to. Granted, I wouldn't want to, but
the option should always be there. Does a knight always wear his plate
mail just because when he was a squire, he only wore at most leather
armor? No, occasionally there will be no need for the plate mail.

Rasdan

                                  /   \
        _                 )      ((   ))     (
       (@)               /|\      ))_((     /|\                 _
       |-|`\            / | \    (/\|/\)   / | \               (@)
       | | ------------/--|-voV---\`|'/--Vov-|--\--------------|-|
       | |  James C. Thomas Jr.   `\Y/'  Founder of Finality   |-|
       |-|            rasdan@finality.drachen.com              | |
       | |             finality.drachen.com 4000               |-|
                 l /   V           \ \       V   \ l           (@)
                                   `\ /'
                                     `