Interesting Error.

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@IMAXX.NET)
Date: 05/03/98

        Believe it or not, this is the first error I've had that I've
posted - wonder if I should put 'Newbie' up there.

        Here's the problem - occasionally, about once ever 22 hours or so,
when a low-level character quits (possibly first time - though, not
verified), the mud will crash.  Here is the gdb back trace for the
relevant parts..

#0  0x8110396 in __libc_free (mem=0x8167aa0) at malloc.c:2736
malloc.c:2736: No such file or directory.
(gdb) bt
#0  0x8110396 in __libc_free (mem=0x8167aa0) at malloc.c:2736
#1  0x8110284 in chunk_alloc (ar_ptr=0x88a8070, nb=0) at malloc.c:2673
#2  0x80b53c3 in free_char (ch=0x886a3f0) at db.c:2454

        Now, chunk_alloc is in what - libc? so, i just went to the second
frame. Okay, free_char at that line looks like this:

    if(ch->player_specials)
      free(ch->player_specials);   <-- line 2454

  Checking player_specials in the second frame looks like this..
$1 = (struct player_special_data *) 0x88a8070

        Which is reasonable, and matches above.. i'll not print out the
*ch->player_specials, cause its so much useless information, and anything
that needed to be free'd in it was free'd above in the preceding parts of
free_char(). 2x checked this.

        Any ideas?

                                                PjD