Re: Weight & Mass

From: Judson Powers (powers@RJSONLINE.NET)
Date: 05/11/98

On Mon, May 11, 1998 1:34 AM, Lord Kyu <mailto:shapeshifter@TKA.COM> wrote:
>        Has anyone incorparated mass along with the weight of an item for
the
>usage of containers? For example, a canoe may weigh 50 pounds/units, and
>your backpack maybe be able to hold 100 pounds/units of weight, but maybe
>your backpack is only able to store a mass of of 50, and the canoe has a
>mass of 200, thefore it won't fit into the backpack. I think this would
add
>a little realism to the game. The case I noticed where the stock system
>lack is when a player has potions. Now to make potions weight 12 pounds
>each is a little unrealistic (but then we are talking a fantasy based
>game), but a lot of realms do make the potions weight this much so players
>can not have 50 to 100 potions in a container. Would it not be easier to
>have them a weight of 1 or 2 which is more realistic, but have them have a
>mass of around 10?

I think you mean mass and volume.  On earth, weight and mass are
essentially the same thing.  Since we're all under the same gravitational
force (which makes weight out of mass), then weight and mass are
comparable.  But mass and volume, on the other hand... that makes
containers real important.  An easy way to do this would be to have the
weight/mass and volume of all objects stored in the object record, and then
to have a maximum weight/mass and maximum volume for containers.  Or, to
save space, you could simple have a container hold as much volume as its
own volume.  The only problem with this system is collapsable objects.  For
example, a full bag is considerably larger than an empty one.  You could,
however, have a SOFT_CONTAINER flag that, when used with a container, makes
it act as if its volume is not its maximum volume (the one stored with the
object), but the total volume of all the objects it is holding.  Of course,
this should only pop up when using soft containers within containers, but
it's something to look out for.  Glad to be of any service possible.

Judson Powers                 Morgaelin MUD
powers@rjsonline.net          telnet://mud.dwango.com:3000/

"Friends help you move... real friends help you move bodies."