Re: [CODE] [REQUEST] Automapper den.se>

From: Carlo Mocci (mocci@TIN.IT)
Date: 05/18/98

I've asked this question about one month ago, and only Sammy answered to
me, telling me the basics of how he did it.
Afetr that, I've started a serious work of creating a virtual map for our
Circle MUD. I call it "Wilderness".
Itsn't working fully yet, but it exists. I can explain something about how
I handled the problem, but the code is really not stock-code... so no
possibilities to make patches or even send away code.
Our MUD is a bpl11 (I think - I'm not even sure ;-)  ) heavily modified,
with Oasis OLC.
By now, I've implemented a new OLC module called wedit, for editing
wilderness types, I've modified Redit for working with wilderness map, and
I'm starting to change all the code for having the right behaviour. I don't
know if it is what you call a "virtual map"... our is real... we have 40000
rooms more than before now.

I plan to add clan interface (for giving a wilderness-area to a clan),
climate areas, altitude, line of sight, landmarks and anything we could
think of !

Kabir
Coder of DalilaMUD
dalila.shopitaly.net 4000

PS You will not find any wilderness right now on this server (the official
one)... We're still testing and drawing the wilderness on an alternate test
server.

At 00.43 17/05/98 +0200, you wrote:
>I have gotten hold of an automapper-code for ROM-type MUDs.
>There is only one problem with this, I don't know how to
>convert it into Circle-code. But if someone out there wishes
>to take a shot at it, I can send you the code so you can see
>what you can do.
>
>This is not exactly a Virtual Map (which I'm desperately looking
>for), but maybe it could be a cool feature to MUDs.
>

>A road
>
>####r####
>####r####
>f###*rr##
>ff####r##
>fff###r##
>
>You are travelling upon a dirty old road.
>
>Exit(s) [ n e s w ]
>

>This is my big dream........ *smile*
>I know I'm seeking the impossible here, but some people say that
>they have implemented a virtual map into their MUD, but either
>they do not wish to give away the code, or they have forgotten
>about how they added it. I'm getting pretty tired of surfing
>on the net, looking for snippets to MERC, ROM, SMAUG and other
>base-codes, which involves a map.
>  It is a feature that I took for granted that it was to be
>available when I started my MUD. I built up the world as if
>it already were connected to a V-Map (short for Virtual Map).
>Now, there seems to be nothing of any V-Map code available,
>and my MUD looks pretty lame with unlinked zones and totally
>crazy world structure.
>
>Well, maybe I should get some sleep now at least.
>
>>Christoffer (Implementor at Legends[stargate.orion.boden.se 4000])
>
>"...and with the map's fall, the whole world rumbled into ashes..."

| mailto: mocci@tin.it                                        |
| http://volftp.tin.it/IT/IT/ITALIANI/MOCCI                   |
| http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Palms/7010             |