Re: [CODE] [REQUEST] Automapper

From: Axiem (bertelse@SWBELL.NET)
Date: 05/26/98

Hmmm.. yes, I know this is a little late, but I was just now thinking
about it and came up with a great idea.

See...use the automapper code to map it when the MUD is booted up, and
store the char info in an struct.

Christoffer Lundberg wrote:

> I have gotten hold of an automapper-code for ROM-type MUDs.
> There is only one problem with this, I don't know how to
> convert it into Circle-code. But if someone out there wishes
> to take a shot at it, I can send you the code so you can see
> what you can do.
>
> This is not exactly a Virtual Map (which I'm desperately looking
> for), but maybe it could be a cool feature to MUDs.
>
> A road

^^^^^^^^^^it normally does the title here, in the code

> ####r####
> ####r####
> f###*rr##
> ff####r##
> fff###r##

^^^^^^^^^^just print the array element for this room

> You are travelling upon a dirty old road.
>
> Exit(s) [ n e s w ]

^^^^^^^^^^^^And the rest as normal.

This could be modified with room flags....etc...... and even though
there is some extra boot time, it'll speed it up a bit. Or it could
update when sleeping, too. Actually, many different things are possible
with this idea. (And putting it in the descriptions would still work,
just time-consuming)

> This is my big dream........ *smile*
> I know I'm seeking the impossible here, but some people say that
> they have implemented a virtual map into their MUD, but either
> they do not wish to give away the code, or they have forgotten
> about how they added it. I'm getting pretty tired of surfing
> on the net, looking for snippets to MERC, ROM, SMAUG and other
> base-codes, which involves a map.
>   It is a feature that I took for granted that it was to be
> available when I started my MUD. I built up the world as if
> it already were connected to a V-Map (short for Virtual Map).
> Now, there seems to be nothing of any V-Map code available,
> and my MUD looks pretty lame with unlinked zones and totally
> crazy world structure.
>
> Well, maybe I should get some sleep now at least.
>
> >Christoffer (Implementor at Legends[stargate.orion.boden.se 4000])
>
> "...and with the map's fall, the whole world rumbled into ashes..."

PS. PLEASE DELETE THE AUTOSIGS BY THE SERVER! IT GETS ANNOYING TO SEE
SEVERAL OF THE SAME SIG AGAIN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN. I mean this in reply
messages ONLY. Don't take this thewrong way.

-Axiem