Re: [Newbie] Names / Players VS Mobs & IBS

From: Lord Kyu (shapeshifter@TKA.COM)
Date: 06/08/98

> (Names)
>
>         Well, this is something I noticed do to one of the players in my
realm
> having the name "Rat". When I try to send him a tell, or type "goto rat"
> usually end up talking to "a sewer rat" or some other mob. I was
wondering
> if people were aware of this, and if it had been fixed in other versions
of
> CircleMUD. I guess the fix is easy enough, just make it search for
players
> first, it is just a pain to go through all of the code and change every
> case where it searches for player/mob. Is there a quicker way to fix
this?

> - Lord Kyu -

        As far as tells and beeps are concerned I fixed my problem really early
this morning (4 am?). In my realm it is not possible to send mobs tells, so
I merely changed the lines in act.comm.c from:

else if (!(vict = get_char_vis(ch, buf)))

to:

else if (!(vict = get_player_vis(ch, buf, 0)))

        And that works okay as far as I am concered. As far as "goto" I am not
really worried about it where as I am able to use the .playername argument
and get where I see to go. As well as having the ability to type where and
finding out he is 12 on the list or something. Thanks for all your help.

- Lord Kyu -