Re: [Cool Bug] [Stock Circle]

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 06/10/98

On Wed, 10 Jun 1998, Jeremy Elson wrote:

>I found a similar bug in Handgun 2.5.  I aimed it at my foot and
>pulled the trigger and a projectile came out and caused my foot to
>become disconnected from my leg.  Now I only have one foot.  This bug
>needs to be fixed!
>
>Moral: If you *try* to hurt yourself by doing something stupid, you
>deserve what you get.  Don't call it a bug.

You'd be surprised how often an argument starts on the Linux kernel mailing
list about people who think that 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda' should be
prevented by the kernel.  Thankfully the people with the common sense to
not limit the power of root (or in CircleMUD's case, the implementor) win
out and say, "Don't do that then."

Personally, I _hate_ it when Windows 95 tells me I can't do something.  I
don't care if the file is an EXE or an in-use DLL, I still want to delete
it! I get equally annoyed when the MUD tells me I can't do something.  It's
my MUD dammit, I'll do what I please. :)

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://patches.van.ml.org/          | stupidity is not thus handicapped.