Re: [EXP GAINS] Follow-up

From: Hans H. Hjort (hjort@S-96-226.RESNET.OHIO-STATE.EDU)
Date: 06/11/98

On Thu, 11 Jun 1998, Brian wrote:

> I'm currently using a formula, with a base of 4000 exp, modified by race and
> class modifiers.  However, there doesn't seem to be a formula that I've come
> up with that closely resembles the original stock exp table.  Has anyone
> come up with one?  ANy one I try either has the exp way to high for newbie
> characters and normal exp for the max level (50), or vice versa (perfect for
> newbie characters, but way too low for the high end).
>
> What's a good formula to use?
>
> As it is now, I have to start adding IF/THEN's when they reach certain
> levels it adds more modifiers.
>
>  - Brian

        One possibility is to completely junk the old system, and redo
the exp awards for mobs.  For example, if you decided that a character
should haveto solo on average 10 mobs his same level to advance, then
make the mob exp be one tenth the difference between the exp needed for a
char to reach the mob's level, and to reach the next level.  You could
then use the same formula to automatically calculate the mob's exp worth,
with some exp modifiers to account for sepecial abilities or
circumstances.  I haven't done this myself, so I can't offer a tested
formula for you to use.

Good luck,

                                                        -Hans