Re: [Newbie] Strength & Cleric Restrict

From: Richard Glover (magik@PYRAMID.NET)
Date: 06/24/98

I'm also coding an AD&D type mud and we added an item "classification" value
to objects, which does a few things actually.  1) It allows us to restrict
any class from any item.  2) It gives us the availability of weapon
specialization.  3) We can use it to form "tight weapon groups" and "broad
groups".  Basically, the classification is a list of several types of
weapons and armor and any other type of item that might be restricted to
certain classes or we can gain from in my prior list.  The list will be
cross referenced against a table using the player's class and the object
classification to get a yes or no response and if it's no, then we allow the
user to use the object, but they will not be able to use any of their class
abilities (i.e. a mage can wear platemail, but he's not going to be casting
any spells with it on, and a thief in platemail has little or no chance to
perform effectively in thieving skills.).  I thought this was a much better
way to go about it than !CLASS bits for object flags.

Rick/Ao
Forgotten Realms Adventures
fradventures.com 8888