Re: Policies for your MUD & the world table

From: Christopher Avans (parka@CDC.NET)
Date: 07/02/98

        Well I assign skills by level say I make  skill_x for a thief for
level 10 so when he gets level 10 he gains the skill at its lowest setting
...(awful) and it improves with use. Look below for a code snip......

> >One idea I had was that _SKILLS_ should not be something you get, go into
> >the trainer's room, and type "prac steal" five times and know.  I believe
> >there is some code at Alex's site to increment skills when used, so that
> >part isn't really a question, it's a suggested answer.  I don't think that
> >the practice command itself should be able to bring a skill to a perfect
> >level.  I'd say a person learns 1/3 of the stuff from someone showing them,
> >the other 2/3 from actual work.  It's an idea you may want to incorporate
> >into your MUD.

    <Hubis code>
***Okay first thing do this open class.c

***inside void do_start add this...

switch (GET_CLASS(ch)) {

  case CLASS_THIEF:
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_SNEAK, 100);
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_HIDE, 50);
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_STEAL, 150);
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_BACKSTAB, 100);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_CIRCLE, 100);
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_PICK_LOCK, 100);
    SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_TRACK, 100);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_DOUBLE_ATTACK, 50);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_DUAL_WIELD, 50);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_DODGE, 50);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_PARRY, 50);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_RIDING, 50);
        SET_SKILL(ch, SKILL_MOUNT, 50);
    break;
  }

***And so on a case for each class you may have. Note I went ahead and
***them poor thieves a head start in some skills heh.

**********************--===NOTE===--*********************************
HubisMUD uses 1 to 1000 for skills not 1 to 100 so cut a 0 of each one for
circlefy. Also on HubisMUD we dont let players see numbers on skills so
might want to do this makes it easier.

/* THIEVES */
  spell_level(SKILL_SNEAK, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_PICK_LOCK, CLASS_THIEF, 6, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_BACKSTAB, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_CIRCLE, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_STEAL, CLASS_THIEF, 6, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_TAME, CLASS_THIEF, 3, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_HIDE, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_TRACK, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_DOUBLE_ATTACK, CLASS_THIEF, 10, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_DUAL_WIELD, CLASS_THIEF, 15, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_DODGE, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_PARRY, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_RIDING, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);
  spell_level(SKILL_MOUNT, CLASS_THIEF, 1, 2);

***Ignore the secound number there infact make sure you dont use it. Its
***is for spell circle spell system ie memorize spells fro circle 1 circle 2
***etc. I assign most skills at level 1 as you can see and high power skills
***at a higher level like double attack I assign it at level 10.

***Now there a chap named Brian Williams(bmw@efn.org) who wrote a nice
***improve_skill void for circle muds. It is somewhere go look for it...
*** It is That simple so now the player has say skill double attack
***assigned to him put he can not use it untill level 10. And when he
***attains level 10 puff he will recieve it. Not hard at all.
***If adding the improve skill from Brian causes you trouble I guess mail
**mail me. or the list yeah thats better..

If you use this code you must always put the lid down after you take a
piss