Re: [DEBUGGER] gdb

From: Cervo (chrisf@PTD.NET)
Date: 07/03/98

On Fri, 3 Jul 1998, Jon Nielsen wrote:

> Vedic wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I believe the command is gdb <path to binary> <path to core file>.
> That, or "gdb core-file <path to core file>".
>
> ---
> Jon Nielsen     <nikolai@montana.com>
> "To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to
> aquire wisdom, one must observe."
>  -Marilyn vos Savant

The command to gdb something is gdb <binary> <core>

circle30bpl11 generates a file named core in the /lib dir on linux

so to gdb circle30bpl11 do this:

cd circle30bpl11
gdb bin/circle lib/core

once in gdb usefull commands include:

bt, list, print, up, down, return

just make sure you didn't take out the -g file from makefile, or else the
symbols will not be in place for the Gnu Debugger

on some of the newer circle's the corefile may have been renamed to
circle.core, or it may be due to the operating system, I'm not sure.  I do
remember this message originally being about circle30bpl11, so

cd /temp/circle30bpl11/lib
ls *core*

cd /temp/circle30bpl11
gdb bin/circle lib/<results of the ls *core*>

I hope this helps a bit :)