(no subject)

From: Matt McLaughlin (mattm@SATYRS.ENGR.CSUFRESNO.EDU)
Date: 07/03/98

On Thu, 2 Jul 1998, John Woods wrote:

> << Instead of coding a whole new set of routines to handle a different
>  situation in the MUD, a coder of mine had the idea of holding the
>  connection, and dropping the character into a shell on the MUD server
>  (logged in as MUDUSER, or similar) now, with the use of scripts, and custom
>  programs, let them play around in the shell, then get back into the MUD, in
>  their character, when they've finished. >>

  Dude... Ever heard anything from anybody that goes something like this:
  "AOL SUCKS BIG DONG!"

  Do you want to know why..  #1 they try to make all their software
totally proprietary meaning it only works with their stuff.

  Well.. thats nice... good for them.. sort of reminds me of a Compaq
computer that cant be upgraded that much.  And getting back to your
subject here..   The only muds that have drop into shell availability,
was designed a long time ago called  MudOs.

  Again.. it seems AOL took some freeware stuff and made it their want to
be own.

  I will straight up bet my P-II 266 dual computer that AOL's mud is not
anywhere near as good as some of your guys or even mine.  If you want
to go with a shitty ISP.. then you can play on a shitty mud too. :)

  Nothin wrong with the service actually.. cept no shell accts... its
just that there are way better software developers out there that one
could benifit from.

> Federation, a multi-player game (non-MUD) that was on AOL for a while used a
> system like that, and it still works now that it's on the web. I don't know
> how they did it, and they might not share secrets with ya or anything, but you
> can ask them...

> Anyway, it would connect players into a special part of the game, maybe even
> on another server...
> hazed@ibgames.net is the person in charge of the actual game, but (and I'm not
> sure this is correct) you can e-mail the original programmer at (maybe)
> alan@ibgames.net, or is it alenton@ibgames.net? It says at their website
> anyway.
> website, btw is at www.ibgames.net. Gotta have an account to play the game, at
> federation.ibgames.net:23
>
> Thanks,
> -Elrelet

B I O - H A Z A R D   I N D U S T R I E S    (c) 1994 -DarkLord